Monday 2 November 2009

COLLAGE RESEARCH: SCHWITTERS

I decided to do some research prior to my 100 collages making. I came across Kurt Schwitters, very known collage artist in the 20th Century. Even thought his work is reminiscent of Dadaists work he wasn't part of the movement as he wasn't political enough (according to them).
He went off and created his own movement called Merz. He often collaborated with Dada artists.
Here are a few examples of his work:





















He seemed to be using all sorts of different paper cut outs and it all looks very random. Despite that I think they are quite visually pleasing, I really enjoy their composition. Based on the fact that he was creating in the time of war I can imagine they might have some kind of political criticism hidden behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment